University of Miami Medical School – Overview
The Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine, called UMMSM for short, is the University of Miami’s graduate medical school, located in Miami, Florida. The prestigious medical school was founded over 80 years ago in 1952 and is the oldest medical school in the state.
The UMMSM is located in the Health District of Miami and is placed inside the University of Miami Jackson Memorial Medical Center complex. This medical center also includes 3 hospitals owned by the University of Miami and is part of the UHealth System.
Besides this, some of the hospitals on the medical campus associated with UMMSM include Holtz Children’s Hospital, Jackson Memorial Hospital, and Miami Veterans Administration Healthcare System.
The Jackson Memorial Hospital is the school’s main teaching facility and is also the largest hospital in the US with over 1,540 beds.
Rankings, Awards, and Honors from the University of Miami Medical School
The University of Miami’s Miller School of Medicine was the 39th largest recipient of government funding in 2019, making it the largest of any medical school in the state of Florida.
As of now, UMMSM ranks as the 43rd-best medical school in the nation, according to US News & World Report. In 2022, EduRank listed the University of Miami as the top university in the world based on research performance in ophthalmology.
Prior to this, in 2018 the US News & World Report listed the University’s Bascom Palmer Eye Institute as the 7th best in the world for ophthalmology for the 15th consecutive time. Besides this, the Holtz Children’s Hospital was nationally ranked at no. 3 in pediatric specialties.
In the same year, Expertscape recognized the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute as the 7th best in the world for Type 1 diabetes care. Back in 2012, the US World & News Report listed the University of Miami’s Physical Therapy Department as the 9th best program in the United States.
Academic Affiliates of the University of Miami Medical School
Most of the Miller School residency and fellowship training programs are sponsored by the Miller School of Medicine and offered in conjunction with the Jackson Memorial Hospital’s health system in Miami-Dade County.
Some of the prominent academic affiliates of the Miller School of Medicine include:
- Holy Cross Hospital (Fort Lauderdale)
- Jackson Memorial Hospital (Health District, Miami)
- JFK Medical Center (Atlantis)
- University of Miami Hospital (Health District, Miami)
- University of Miami Hospitals and Clinics/ Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center (Miami)
- Veterans Affairs Medical Center (Health District, Miami)
Joint Degree Programs by the University of Miami Medical School
The UMMSM also offers the following joint-degree programs for other disciplines in collaboration with the University of Miami:
- MD/D. through the University of Miami’s Program in Biomedical Sciences and Programs in Public Health Sciences, in collaboration with the Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP).
- MD/JD through the University of Miami School of Law
- MD/MBA through the University of Miami School of Business
- MD/MS in Genomic Science
Academic and Research Programs at the University of Miami Medical School
The following are some of the accolades that the University of Miami’s Medical School received in the past:
- Bascom Palmer Eye Institute is the best facility in the US for ophthalmology clinical care and research.
- Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital serves more than 160,000 outpatients for ophthalmology and other specialties, such as microsurgery procedures, every year.
- The Miller School’s Diabetes Research Institute joined the National Institutes of Health and the Naval Medical Research Center for its ground-breaking work in islet cell transplantation. It is the only academic partner in this national program to cure diabetes through organ transplantation.
- The Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center treats nearly 3,000 newly diagnosed cancer patients every year, besides treating thousands more with ongoing treatment programs all over the US and Latin America. The center currently is host to more than 200 cancer-related clinical trials and is supported by over USD 31 million in research funds.
- The University of Miami’s Ear Institute is the second most active cochlear implant program in the entire country and has helped to restore hearing in adults and children with profound deafness.
- The School of Medicine’s Mailman Center for Child Development has numerous model programs to help children with developmental disabilities.
The University of Miami’s Miller School of Medicine (UMMSM) ranks among the most prestigious and best medical schools in the country. It is also home to numerous advanced research and academic centers that are renowned throughout the country.
To find more details about the University of Miami’s Miller School of Medicine, we recommend that you visit the official website at https://med.miami.edu/.