What are the Government Grants for Medical School?
Government grants for medical school are awarded to finance medical education. Most of these grants are given to students for research during medical school.
Medical school students endure one of the most intense educational processes. They are required to attend four years of undergraduate work and then four years of medical school, as well as three-to-eight years of residency. Thus, the total costs expand up to $150,000.
Loans may help medical school students manage their education’s financial aspect; however, they do need to be paid back after graduation. Therefore, government grants for medical school are considered the best option for financing an education. There are several medical school grants available for financial assistance.
Government Grants for Medical School – A Financial Assistance
Government grants for medical schools provide financial assistance to the students for their education. The best part is that unlike college loans, grants do not need to be repaid.
Grants encourage and sustain the development of educational programs at both the medical school and graduate levels. Pre-med students can apply for grants in their undergraduate years and should continue to apply for these medical school grants throughout their academic careers.
Government Grants for Medical School – Federal Grants
The federal government grant help students afford medical college. These grants are easy to secure as long as the student can prove that paying for college will involve financial hardship. Several federally funded college grant programs exist. Let’s learn about them.
Pell grants have been around for a long time. It is a well-established program and the best-known type of college grant. These grants are issued by the U.S. Department of Education and assess eligibility for the grant based on Expected Family Contribution to contribute to education costs.
The Pell Grant is free to apply (FAFSA), and students can always apply for it to have a good chance of receiving it. The amount varies depending on the applicant’s financial background. The maximum amount of Pell Grant award per academic year is around $5,500.
The Pell program also compensates students for tuition money they may have already paid. The amount of the Pell grant can be adjusted as per the changes in a student’s financial status.
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
FSEOG is another type of federal educational grant available for undergraduate students who need funding to attend medical college. This grant is available for students with exceptional needs that can be used at virtually any institution.
All students who receive this award must be disadvantaged or low-income. They usually provide up to $100-$4,000 depending on the student’s needs and the available amount of funding. FSEOG awards 75% of the total grant amount, and the rest, 25%, is funded by the educational institution.
Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG)
This grant is for top students undergraduates where they are required to maintain at least a 3.0-grade point average. It usually awards $750 for first-year students and $1300 for the second year. ACG can be combined with grants from other programs such as Pell as long as the total grant amount doesn’t exceed tuition’s total cost.
How to Apply for Federal Educational Grants?
The Federal Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) is required to be filled by an applicant to receive federal government grants for medical school. A student needs to answer about the income status to be eligible for the grants.
To fill out this form, visit www.fafsa.ed.gov. An applicant can also pick a FAFSA paper form at their local library, college, university, etc.
Government Grants for Medical School – State Grants
State college grants are often instituted by the education department of state governments and thus vary from state to state. They have their own applications and do not generally use the FAFSA. The awards offered can be valuable and worth checking as they can be combined with federal grants.
The financial aid office of a school is a good place to ask about these grants. Furthermore, anyone seeking information about government grants for medical school can also inquire at their state education department.
Government grants for medical school are given to finance education and to foster research. One can find out about all the different grants offered at the federal level at the Department of Education, Health Resources and Services Administration, Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, and National Institutes of Health. Good luck!