Medical Innovation Grants Opportunities – Overview
Medical innovation is extremely crucial for improving preventive medicine and ensuring effective treatment techniques and technologies for various disorders and diseases. Small and large corporations, as well as scientists and medical students often seek grants to pursue their research goals. These research studies are extremely helpful in discovering new and more effective diagnostic techniques and help develop advanced treatment methods too.
If you are an aspiring medical researcher and looking for funding opportunities with medical innovation grants then you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we shall be looking at some of the top ways to secure medical innovation funds in 2021.
Where to apply for Medical Innovation Grants in the US?
Here’s a list of the different sources that provide medical innovation grants to students and researchers for advancing medicines, diagnostic and treatment in the healthcare industry:
1 – 2021 Preventive Health and Health Services Block Grant Program
The DHHS (Department of Health and Human Services) in collaboration with CDC (Centers for Disease Control) offers the Preventive Health and Health Services Block Grant Program 2021. This grant is aimed at implementing innovative and community-centric methods that improve public health requirements. Grant recipients can set their own program goals and implement local strategies to ensure Healthy People 2030 initiative.
Some of the topics encouraged for this grant include:
- Addressing current health issues and obstacles
- Decreasing premature death and disabilities by discovering preventable risks
- Working to achieve health equity and to remove health disparities by correcting social health factors
- Supporting local programs to ensure healthy communities
- Establishing data and surveillance techniques to monitor the health of the community in focus
This year, the DHHS and CDC are offering a total grant amount of US$ 145,047,847. To check specific details for eligibility and application process, we advise you to visit www.grants.gov for more information.
2 – National Institutes of Health (NHS) Director’s Transformative Research Awards
The NIH’s Director’s Transformative Research Award Program is aimed at boosting groundbreaking and exceptionally innovative research that has the potential to develop new scientific paradigms, set completely new and improved clinical approaches, or develop transformative technologies. This grant encourages research and development in various relevant topics, including those dealing with behavioral, biomedical, social and applied/formal sciences.
The eligibility criteria for this grant are significantly simple. Any individual from diverse backgrounds, such as those belonging to under-represented groups, from any competitive institutions within the US and its territories can apply for this medical innovation grant.
For more information, we advise you to visit the official website of NIH and get more details from the Funding Opportunity Announcement page.
3 – NIH Small Grants Program
The NIH offers research and development funding through its Small Grants Program under the R03 grant mechanism. This grant provides funding to support short-term research projects that can be carried out with limited time and resources. This grant is mainly aimed at promoting investigator-initiated (unsolicited) applications for grants.
The main aim of this grant program is to provide limited funding to research projects for a short period of time. These grants are extremely helpful for:
- Secondary analysis of existing data
- Feasibility or pilot studies
- Development of research methodology
- Small, self-dependent research initiatives
- Development of new research technology
For detailed information regarding the eligibility criteria and application process for this grant, it is recommended to visit https://grants.nih.gov/funding/index.htm
4 – NIDCD Research Grants
The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communicating Disorders (NIDCD) offers research grants to universities, medical and other health professional schools, colleges, research institutes, hospitals and nonprofit organizations. This grant is aimed at sponsoring and conducting biomedical research and development. These grants are meant to provide funds for equipment, travel, salaries, supplies and other allowable direct costs for the research and to cover the indirect cost of the sponsoring organization or institute.
There are several different research grants provided by the NIDCD in collaboration with NIH. Some of the most popular NIH NIDCD-sponsored research grants include:
- Research Project Grant – This is the most popular funding initiative by the NIDCD and NIH. It comes under the traditional grant mechanism. This grant is normally awarded to organizations from individuals (investigators) to ensure the full pursuit of a research objective.
- Stephen I Katz Early Stage Investigator Research Project Grant – This grant is meant to support innovative research projects in science that can usher in a change in research direction for early-stage investigators (ESI), especially for research where no primary data is available.
- NIH Research Enhancement Award – The NIH’s Research Enhancement Award program aims to support small-scale research initiatives at educational institutions. This award is designed for baccalaureate and advanced degrees for a particular number of the country’s researchers who have not been recipients of any major NIH grant.
- Early Career Research (ECR) Award – The NIDCD Early Career Research award helps basic and clinical research that aims to establish an independent research career. This grant is solely meant for clinical research purposes and cannot be used for dissertation or thesis research. This grant is usually awarded to those who seek to discover groundbreaking innovative treatment or prevention techniques. To learn more about this grant, it is advised to visit www.nidcd.nih.gov/funding/types/research-grants-r-series
There are several official government sources that offer medical innovation grants to researchers and institutes engaged in discovering new and innovative preventive and treatment methods for major and minor diseases and disorders.