Top Medical Apps for Doctors
Advances in communication technology have also made healthcare services more efficient and organized. The days when doctors would depend on patient charts and hard-copy records are over.
With comprehensive digitalization and remote communication, doctors can diagnose, treat and rehabilitate patients without personal interaction.
Numerous medical apps have been launched for doctors ever since smartphones became popular.
Why Doctors are choosing Medical Apps?
Increasing numbers of doctors and healthcare providers are turning to mobile apps to provide diagnostic and treatment services to patients.
The major reasons why doctors are increasingly choosing smartphone apps over conventional treatment techniques are:
- Constant connectivity – Mobile apps provide doctors with the ability to connect and communicate with patients constantly.
- Data Security – Mobile apps allow doctors to store sensitive patient information in an extremely secure but seamless virtual storage space.
- Compatibility – Numerous smartphone apps are available that can sync with advanced medical instruments which makes it extremely convenient for doctors to check the patient’s vital stats.
- GPS – Mobile apps with GPS features allow doctors to keep track of the location of patients who are prone to receiving emergency medical assistance.
- Quicker response – Most medical apps allow doctors to communicate promptly with patients using text or voice and video calls. This allows doctors to make an even more accurate diagnosis and thus ensure prompt and proper treatment for the patient on the other end.
Best Medical Apps for Doctors in 2021
Here’s our selection of the best medical apps for doctors in 2021:
1 – Epocrates
Epocrates is a clinical decision support tool (CDST). It can be used on a subscription basis and includes numerous useful features which make it an all-around mobile healthcare app.
Doctors can use this medical app on several types of internet-powered devices, such as laptops, smartphones, and tablet phones.
Highlighting Features of Epocrates
- The app contains the latest medical innovations and a large variety of well-researched discoveries and verified sources.
- The app is designed to work offline so doctors can access important patient files without the need for an internet connection.
- The app included Athena Text which lets doctors communicate with other doctors using Epocrates.
- App has numerous features, such as Symptom Checker, Clinical Guidelines, Disease Database, Drug References, Medicate Database, and Medicine Specific Calculator among others.
- Epocrates free version mobile health app contains the above-listed features too.
- Paid Epocrates version, Epocrates Essentials, includes advanced features, such as ICD-9, ICD-10, Lab References, Alternate Meds, etc.
- Epocrates has over 1 million subscribers worldwide.
2 – VisualDX
Doctors don’t need to remember every symptom of every disease and disorder. With VisualDX, doctors can now use images of patients to perform a prompt and accurate diagnosis of any type of medical care.
You can download and use VisualDX on iOS and Android-powered devices, including laptops, desktops, and smartphones. The app claims to have helped increase diagnostic accuracy by over 120% for physicians worldwide.
Highlighting Features of VisualDX
- App library stores and showcases over 32,000 digital images with variations of diseases.
- Incredibly vast image database showing patient images in different categories, including age, skin type, by disease, etc.
- Special sections for specific areas, such as nose, mouth, nails, hair, genitals, etc.
- The app covers various specialties, such as pathology, dermatology, emergency medicine, radiology, infectious disease, oral medicine, ophthalmology, etc.
3 – Doximity
Doximity has been created by the makers of Epocrates. This healthcare app designed for doctors offers a private networking platform for doctors and surgeons. This is a completely free app and can be downloaded and used on iOS, Android, and web-powered devices.
This app helps make communication streamlined and efficient between different doctors and surgeons working on a common cause.
Doximity is an incredibly powerful tool for doctors and surgeons to stay connected when working on patient care from different settings.
Highlighting Features of Doximity
- The app allows searching for doctors based on specialty, clinical interests, locations, language, experience, publication, or hospital affiliation.
- Users can create and edit their profiles for accurate information in the database.
- Doctors can send secure faxes and encrypted texts related to medical issues that are on par with HIPAA regulations.
- The app brings you closer to hospital employers, compares salaries, and finds new jobs in your field of expertise.
4 – PEPID
PEPID is a decision support and clinical reference app that helps doctors make an accurate diagnosis and treat patients with efficiency and effectiveness from a remote location. The app is available for use worldwide in over 150 countries and can successfully work in offline mode too.
Highlighting Features of PEPID
- App gives doctors access to descriptions and information for over 3,000 clinical conditions and disease profiles.
- App provides high-definition radiographic images, medicine pill pictures, and detailed descriptive illustrations.
- The app contains an enormous drug database.
- It is easy to use and works when you enter a patient’s symptoms, lab results, and physical exam report as the app produces an accurate diagnosis of the patient.
5 – Case
The case offers doctors the best solution to stay updated with the latest innovations in medicine, research, and discoveries.
However, doctors find it hard to cope due to enormous work pressure and tight work schedules. With Case, doctors have a mobile medical journal in their pockets.
Highlighting Features of Case
- The app scans multiple medical journals from all over the world to provide users with the latest reports on diseases, medicines, and preventive measures.
- App regularly publishes content for over 80 specialties.
- The app suggests content based on your browsing history and your preferences.
- App offers article abstracts in more than 100 languages.
These are the top medical apps for doctors as they have incredibly efficiency-enhancing and highly useful features for physicians and surgeons alike.
Feel free to drop in a comment below and let us know which of the above-listed mobile apps for doctors proved the most effective and useful for you.