Does Medicare Cover Botox for Migraines?

Does Medicare cover Botox for Migraines? – Overview

Migraines are a type of headache. It causes several pulsing sensations and throbbing pain.

This condition often causes nausea and vomiting and induces hypersensitivity to bright lights and loud sounds.

Some migraine attacks can last for hours and even days. At times, the pain is so severe that it drastically affects your day-to-day life.

Botox was approved for treating chronic migraines in adults in 2010. If you suffer from bouts of migraines or suffer from prolonged headaches, then Botox can help you to get relief.

Botox is a neurotoxin that helps block neurotransmitters (chemicals that carry signals from the brain).

This way, you can prohibit the neurotransmitters from reaching the nerve endings on your neck and head, which usually cause migraine.

In some situations, Medicare can cover the cost of Botox treatment for migraines. However, there are strict guidelines for receiving Botox injections.

Their cost is also significant. Hence, it is highly advisable to do your research and consult with your doctor to ensure your Medicare plan covers Botox for migraines.

Medicare coverage for Botox

Medicare does not cover the cost of injecting Botox for cosmetic reasons. However, Medicare does cover the cost of Botox treatment if it is deemed medically necessary.

For instance, Medicare does not pay for Botox injections to remove signs of aging for aesthetic reasons.

However, Botox is also deemed medically necessary by doctors to prevent or treat several health conditions.

In such cases, Medicare usually covers the cost of Botox injections. Medicare covers the cost of Botox injections to treat severe, chronic migraines.

Medicare may cover Botox for chronic migraines if you experience headaches on 15 or more days each month, each lasting 4 hours or more, and if other treatments have failed, subject to approval based on medical necessity.

It is important to prove a significant decrease in the frequency of headaches and improvement in functions after receiving the Botox injections.

Additionally, you also need to prove that you suffered noticeable disability due to the severity of the chronic headaches.

Getting Medicare Cover for Botox to Treat Migraines

Insurance coverage is not always assured. However, there are certain steps you can take to ensure that the Botox treatment is covered, such as:

  • Have your Medicare-approved doctor submit a request to Medicare detailing why Botox is medically necessary for your migraine treatment
  • Send your migraine medical reports to Medicare, including proof of diagnosis, symptoms, and failure of other treatment methods.

You should consult your doctor regarding the documentation and information you must provide to Medicare. You should also call Medicare directly to ensure that your application is successfully submitted.

Make sure to inquire about all necessary documents you must submit to Medicare and any other steps you may need.

Cost of Botox for Migraine Treatment

The cost of Botox injection therapy for treating migraines varies. It usually depends on the number of sessions you need and the amount of Botox used in each session.

The cost of Botox treatment for migraines can vary widely depending on geographical location, healthcare provider, and the amount of Botox required; patients should consult their healthcare provider for an accurate cost estimate.

Medicare Part B typically covers 80% of the Medicare-approved amount for eligible Botox treatments after the deductible is met, with the beneficiary responsible for the remaining 20%, but actual coverage may vary depending on specific plan details and whether the provider accepts Medicare assignment. Remember, Botox is only a temporary treatment for migraines.

Hence, it would be best if you were prepared to undergo another treatment after some time. For every treatment session, be ready to pay 20% of the treatment cost from your pocket.

To remedy this, you can buy the Medicare Medigap (Supplement) plan. This plan may help pay for the co-payment or co-insurance costs you might have paid for the treatment.


Botox treatment for migraines is considered successful. Medicare covers around 80% of the total cost.

Once your doctor advises you on this treatment, you can consult with them to prepare all the necessary documents you need to submit to Medicare.

Talking with your local Medicare office for further details and information is highly advisable.

See Also

Does Medicare Cover Shingles Shots

Does Medicare Cover Chiropractic

Does Medicare Cover Hearing Aids

Does Medicare Cover Cataract Surgery

Does Medicare Cover Bunion Surgery

All Inclusive Plastic Surgery Vacation

How to Become a Plastic Surgeon

Lap Band Surgery Cost

Current Version
August 17, 2023
Updated By
Andrea Morales G.
March 26, 2024
Updated By
Andrea Morales G.

Follow us