Does Medicaid Cover Blood Pressure Monitors?

Does Medicaid cover Blood Pressure Monitors Does Medicaid cover Blood Pressure Monitors

Does Medicaid Cover Blood Pressure Monitors? – Overview

Hypertension, or high blood pressure, affects around 47% of adults in the United States, according to several reports.

These people are at risk of suffering a stroke or even a heart attack.

However, reports show that only 1 in 4 people suffering from hypertension are able to control the condition.

It is necessary to regularly measure your blood pressure is an essential aspect of maintaining normal blood pressure.

However, blood pressure monitors are usually expensive. In such situations, one wonders if Medicaid covers blood pressure monitors. This article answers this query in detail.

Does Medicaid Cover Blood Pressure Monitors?

Medicaid covers the cost of blood pressure monitors in certain cases. Usually, this depends on the state you reside in and the type of Medicaid program you are enrolled in.

Blood pressure monitors are termed as “durable medical equipment” however, states only cover specific medical devices. Reports show that this policy varies from state to state.

In some states, blood pressure monitors are specifically covered under the Medicaid insurance policy. In other states, Medicaid only covers certain specific types of blood pressure monitors.

Still, there are some states without specific regulations regarding blood pressure monitors.

The best way to ensure this is to contact your state’s Medicaid office or consult with your healthcare provider.

Cost of Blood Pressure Monitors without Medicaid

The exact cost of blood pressure monitors depends on the type of device and the place you buy it. According to reports, personal blood pressure monitors range between US$ 40 to US$ 100 and over.

Does Medicaid Cover Blood Pressure Monitors

Does Medicaid Cover Blood Pressure Monitors – Cost of Blood Pressure Monitors without Medicaid

It is highly advisable to choose an automatic monitor which does not require a stethoscope. These are the easiest to operate and maintain at home and also provide accurate readings.

Make sure to buy only those blood pressure monitoring devices that are FDA-approved and medically validated for the best results.

Need for Blood Pressure Monitors

There are a few reasons why you would need a blood pressure monitor at home, including:

  • Faulty reading in the doctor’s office – At times, checking your blood pressure at the doctor’s office may show inaccurate or varying results. This could be caused by the anxiety most people suffer when visiting a doctor or a hospital. This phenomenon results in raising a person’s blood pressure noticeably. Hence, a personal blood pressure monitor can ease the anxiety and give accurate readings every time.
  • Renal dialysis – People on renal dialysis require accurate and regular blood pressure monitoring. Hypertension is also a major cause of chronic kidney disorder. Having high blood pressure in such a condition can increase toxicity levels in your body. This is where personal blood pressure monitors come in handy.

Medicaid coverage for different types of Blood Pressure Monitors

Here are the different types of blood pressure monitors which are usually covered under a Medicaid insurance program:

1 – Blood pressure cuffs – These fit on your upper arms and the band is filled with air. Once the air is released, the blood flow resumes in your brachial artery in clearly-detectable pulsing waves.

Medicaid offers up to 80% coverage of the actual cost of blood pressure cuffs while the remaining 20% has to be borne by the policy-holder.

2 – Ambulatory blood pressure monitors – These devices monitor your blood pressure throughout the day at regular intervals and keep a record of the readings.

This device is considered one of the most accurate blood pressure monitors in use today. Medicaid offers to help bear the cost of renting ambulatory blood pressure monitors, only if expressly advised by your healthcare provider.



Conclusion

Medicaid offers to cover the cost of certain blood pressure monitors, in select states. Some states may allow you to bear the partial expense of renting or buying a blood pressure monitoring device.

It is highly advisable to consult with your physician or insurance provider to know the specific regulations in your state.

See Also

Does Medicaid Cover Dermatology?

Does Medicaid Cover Braces?

Does Medicaid Cover Dental Implants?

Does Medicaid Cover Therapy?

Does Medicaid Cover Dental Implants?

Does Medicaid Cover Glasses

Does Medicaid Cover Hearing Aids?

Reference links:

https://www.medicaid.gov/state-overviews/

https://www.communitycarenc.org/

https://www.helpadvisor.com/medicaid/

https://www.healthline.com/health/medicare/

Follow us

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*