What is Breast Augmentation? – Overview
Proportionate and symmetrical breasts are the most desirable. However, many women tend to have abnormally small, uneven or disproportionate breasts.
This causes them to experience a loss of self-confidence and brings about a feeling of being conscious about their appearance.
Thanks to breast augmentation surgery, these problems can be easily resolved.
Breast augmentation has become incredibly popular during the past few years.
The advances in technology and refinement of techniques have made breast augmentation incredibly efficient and convenient for women around the world.
Hence, if you believe that your breasts are uneven or disproportionate in size, then you can choose to undergo a breast augmentation procedure to correct this.
Hence, it is extremely essential to know the basics of breast augmentation.
What is Breast Augmentation surgery?
Breast augmentation, also called augmentation mammoplasty, is an aesthetic surgical procedure to enhance the size of breasts.
It requires placing surgical implants under the breast muscles or injecting autologous fat from the patient to their breasts to correct the size of disproportionate breasts.
For women suffering from self-consciousness due to uneven breasts, breast augmentation surgery is the best way to regain their self-confidence and look great.
For many others, breast augmentation has proven to be the saving grace after losing breast volume due to an illness or vital surgical treatment.
To get the best breast augmentation in your area, you should talk to your physician or family doctor, who can recommend an expert plastic surgeon.
Ensure that you understand how the surgery is performed, the cost of the breast augmentation procedure and the potential risks associated with it.
What are the different types of Breast Implants used in Breast Augmentation surgery?
There are several different types of breast implants used in breast augmentation treatment today. Every implant has its own set of advantages and is also priced accordingly.
Your personal preference and expected outcome will normally determine the type of breast implant to use for your breast augmentation surgery.
These are the commonly-used breast implants for breast augmentation surgery:
- Silicone Implants – Silicone implants are made of a silicone outer shell that is filled with a special soft silicone gel. These implants feel the most natural and are hence incredibly popular worldwide. In case the implant leaks or ruptures, the silicone gel stays in the outer shell or will flow into the small pocket between your chest muscles. In such a case, you will need to consult with your plastic surgeon immediately as silicone gel is not naturally absorbed by the body.
- Cohesive Gel Silicone Implants – Cohesive gel silicone implants are more advanced than simple silicone breast implants. These upgraded silicone implants come filled with a viscous, cohesive silicone gel that retains the desired shape and also prevents leaking in case the implant ruptures. This is why these breast implants are considered to be the most popular around the world.
- Saline Implants – Saline breast implants have a silicone-based outer shell and are filled with sterile, saline water. They retain their shapes firmly and give a natural appearance to the breasts. In case the outer silicone shell ruptures or leaks, the saline water which comes out gets absorbed naturally by the body and removed through the urine.
- Structured Saline Implants – Structured saline breast implants are advanced versions of conventional saline implants. Though they are also filled with saline water, their inner structure is more defined and well-shaped. This type of breast implant gives the most naturally enhanced shape to your breasts.
During the consultation with your surgeon, you will not only have to decide the best type of breast implant but also determine the shape.
The size of the implants ensures that the result is a proportionate and perfectly symmetrical body shape.
Why is Breast Augmentation done?
Breast augmentation is the solution for several different situations. This procedure becomes essential when you:
- Wish to improve your overall appearance by increasing the size of abnormally or disproportionately small breasts if you want to make the breasts even in size and symmetry.
- Are struggling to adjust to larger, heavier breast size, especially after pregnancy or considerable loss of weight.
- Want to correct the symmetry of your breasts after surgery or treatment for other conditions?
- Wish to improve your self-confidence.
It is advisable to consult your vision with a plastic surgeon. So they can ensure that your expectations are practical and realistic.
Are there any risks of complications associated with Breast Augmentation surgery?
As is seen with any surgical procedure, the breast augmentation procedure also has the potential to cause certain complications, such as:
- Breast pain
- The implant may shift its original position
- Scar tissue may distort breast shape, also called capsular contracture
- Rupture or leakage in implant
- Noticeable change in sensation in nipples and breasts
When you choose to undergo breast augmentation procedures through experienced plastic surgeons, then you lower the chances of these complications occurring in your case.
Correcting these conditions may involve removing or replacing the breast implant at least.
Who is an ideal candidate for Breast Augmentation surgery?
An ideal candidate for breast augmentation surgery is usually an adult woman who:
- Is physically healthy overall
- Is a non-smoker, or if she is a smoker, she is willing to quit smoking for the surgery.
- Has under-developed breasts
- Is not pregnant or breastfeeding currently
- Is unhappy with the overall appearance and symmetry of their breasts
- Has realistic and practical expectations from the surgery
It is extremely important to learn as much as you can about the surgery. Before choosing to undergo a breast augmentation procedure.
Breast augmentation is one of the most commonly performed plastic surgeries around the world.
The immense convenience and incredible efficiency of this procedure to correct asymmetry and disproportionate breasts.
Ease and long-lasting results make this procedure highly advisable under an expert and skilled plastic surgeon.
I am a dedicated healthcare researcher and an enthusiast specializing in medical grants, medical education and research. Through my articles, I aim to empower healthcare professionals and researchers with valuable insights and resources to navigate these critical aspects effectively.