Home Improvement Grants Texas – Overview
Texas is the second-largest US state and is home to more than 29 million people and consists of more than 9,970,000 households.
About 65 percent of the households have successfully paid off home mortgages. The remaining families are trying their best to pay off their mortgages. Some of them have very limited incomes, and some are without jobs.
Some of those people have homes that require repair, but due to limited incomes, they cannot get the repairs done.
There is good news for those people as they can take the help of home improvement grants in Texas, which are meant to help people with limited incomes or without jobs.
Who can avail of the benefit of Home Improvement Grants?
The funds under home improvement grants are limited, so some groups, such as low-income families, defense personnel, seniors, veterans, and disabled persons, are given priority. Otherwise, any Texas resident can benefit from a home improvement grant.
Belonging to any of the mentioned groups is insufficient as the funds are distributed according to the financial need. You can apply for a particular grant and increase your chances of getting the same.
However, merely applying for a home improvement grant does not guarantee that you will be able to secure it, as many households send applications for that particular home improvement grant.
Each home improvement grant has a set of eligibility conditions. Try to find out the eligibility conditions of each home improvement grant and apply for the ones you find yourself eligible for.
Most people make the biggest mistake of applying for a home improvement grant without reading the eligibility conditions, and their applications are later rejected.
Let’s talk about the available home improvement grant options in Texas.
Home Improvement Grants Texas – Options to Choose
1. Go Repair Grant
Go Repair grant is available for Austin’s low-income families struggling to make repairs. It addresses substandard housing conditions and structural issues. You can use the grant money for the following:
- Collapsing floors
- Faulty electrical fittings
- Plumbing leaks
- Decaying roofs
The main objective of the Go Repair grant is to ensure Austin homeowners can get around their homes safely. Also, it aims to make homes more accessible for homeowners with disabilities.
For more information on the Go Repair grant, visit austintexas.gov.
2. Minor Home Repair Grant
The Minor Home Repair Grant is to help homeowners in Austin residents fix conditions such as decaying roofs, collapsing floors, leaking gas pipes, and faulty electrical fittings.
Introducing this grant program is to make your home a safe place to live. A grant of up to $5,000 is available to complete the repairs.
- You must be an Austin homeowner or renter within the city limits
- Must be at least 62 years old or severely disabled as per the Americans with Disabilities Act
- You must have a gross annual income below 80 percent median family income
For more information, visit austintexas.gov.
3. Architectural Barrier Removal
The Architectural Barrier Removal program is for Austin residents to help make their homes accessible for persons with disabilities.
Under this program, the physical elements of a home are modified to make it easier for you to enter, exit, and move around your home. You can receive up to $15,000 for making the architectural modifications.
The work done under this program includes:
- Replacing stairs with ramps
- Widening doorways
- Lowers sinks in bathrooms
For more information on this program, visit austintexas.gov.
4. Section 504 Home Repair program
Section 504 Home Repair program is a federal government program available to all US residents. Under this program, grants and loans are available for homeowners to remove health and safety hazards.
Eligibility Conditions for Section 504 Home Repair program:
- Must be 62 years or older (for grants) and not able to repay a loan
- Not able to obtain affordable credit
- Own a house, and you must be living in it
- You have a household income that does not exceed the very low limit by your county
How much money can you get?
The grant amount has been set to $10,000, which must be used to remove health and safety hazards. If your requirement exceeds the grant amount, you can get up to $40,000 as a loan, which has to be repaid.
The interest rate on a loan will be 1 percent which is less than m for 20 years.
To get more information on the Section 504 Home Repair program, visit rd.usda.gov.
5. Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) Grant
The Home Improvements and Structural Alterations grant is a veterans-only home improvement grant. The grant amount can be used for alterations or improvements to a veteran’s home that is medically necessary.
You can use to grant money for:
- Construction of an accessible entrance and exit
- Construction of a ramp
- Improving accessibility to sinks or counters, such as lowering kitchen counters
- Making a bathroom accessible
- Redoing electrical fitting to facilitate installation of home medical equipment
- HISA does not cover improvements like installing security systems, hot tubs, and regular repairs.
Eligibility Requirements for HISA Grant:
– Submit a signed Veterans Application for Assistance
– Prescription from a VA doctor containing the following:
Your name, address, and phone number
- The identified structural alteration
- Medical diagnosis and purpose you want the alternation for
You can fill out the Veterans application for assistance at www.va.gov.
For more information on the HISA grant, visit www.prosthetics.va.gov.
6. Specially Adapted Housing Grant (SAH)
The Specially Adapted Housing grant is to help veterans who have severe burn injuries or impaired mobility.
The grant money is available for the following:
– Renovation of a current home
– For the payment of the unpaid principal mortgage balance
– Construction of home on a pre-owned land
The money you receive under a SAH grant can be used six times during your lifetime.
For more information on the SAH grant, visit www.va.gov.
Taking the help of home improvement grants in Texas is a great way to get the necessary home repairs done. This post provides detailed information on different home improvement grants to make your job easier.
I am a medical student who dedicated herself helping individuals and non profit organizations for finding medical grants for medical bills, medical treatment, medical education, research and medical equipment.