Does Walmart Accept FSA Cards Online – Overview
FSA or flexible spending accounts are used by many people to pay for their dependent care and health care merchandise. FSA cards allow you to lay money away to pay for specific things in a tax-free way every month. You can use an FSA debit card for multiple medical items and services in different locations.
Does the Walmart Website Accept FSA Cards?
Walmart’s website does not consider FSA cards as a valid payment procedure. You must use your credit card, debit card, or gift card for all your purchases. However, you can submit an application requesting your insurance company to approve your claim. Your insurance carrier is supposed to take care of all your reimbursement processes.
If you want to track the procedure, you have to organize and store all your bills, receipts, and copies of your medical bills. To receive your reimbursement, you must send these receipts and invoices to your plan administrator and wait for the results.
How Can You Use FSA Cards at In-Store Walmart?
However, you can make your purchase using your FSA card in-store at Walmarts. However, you can not just buy anything you want with your FSA card. There are some specific items that you can buy with your FSA card.
Swipe your FSA debit card to pay for the needed items after scanning them at the checkout counter. Walmart’s automatic grocery shopping system can deduct the cost of FSA-eligible things.
The amount gets deducted based on the product numbers of the items on the receipt. You can use any alternative payment method to buy non-FSA-eligible products.
However, you do not have to worry about which items are eligible for the flexible spending account (FSA) card payment method. Walmart has an automation system to separate the ineligible items from the eligible ones.
Walmart has an internally developed technology solution named Inventory Information Approval System or IIAS. It can identify all FSA-eligible products by scanning them during checkout. All the FSA-eligible products have unique ID numbers, which differentiate them from the non-eligible products.
The total displayed amount of your purchase includes all the FSA and non-FSA items. However, while paying, you can use your FSA card for FSA-eligible products and any other payment method for non-FSA products.
Which Walmart Products are Eligible for an FSA Card?
Walmart’s webpage has different categories for FSA-eligible products.
- Cold and flu
- Pain management
- Home Health
- Personal care
- Mobility aids
- Baby care
- Eye and ear care
- Patient care
Benefits of Using FSA Cards
- You can fulfill your urgent medical requirements by using an FSA card
- FSA cards can take care of your urgent needs for children care and dependent care
- In case of medical emergencies, FSA cards can come real handy
- Managing your expenses can become quite easy
- It can allow you to pay for things in a non-taxable way
Disadvantages of Using FSA Cards
- FSA card has an expiry period for your deposit amount. If you do not use the fund within the allotted period, you can lose your hard-earned money. However, some employers can offer you a grace period in certain situations or they can allow you to carry forward the money.
- When your actual expenses overextend the said amount, the employees may need to bear your remaining amount. For the calendar year 2020, the upper cap of the FSA card was $2750.
- It does not allow any deduction for your actual spending amount
- Your Flexible Savings Accounts are always linked to your employer. If you change or leave your job for some reason, you will not be able to carry forwards these benefits to your new employer.
Who Can Offer You Flexible Savings Accounts (FSA)?
You can mostly use your flexible spending accounts or FSA cards to buy healthcare services and healthcare products. Multiple insurance companies can offer you flexible spending accounts.
However, you should always check with the insurance company if your plan can offer FSA or not. Always try to choose a company that does not sell through any other third parties. It will make the process less complicated and you will be able to experience all the benefits.
What Other Payment Methods Can You Use at Walmart?
You can always use different payment methods to purchase something from Walmart. You can choose any of the following according to your convenience –
- Debit cards
- Credit cards
- Gift cards (However, you can not buy a gift card using another gift card)
- Capital one W Walmart credit cards
You can always change your payment method whenever you want.
FSA cards can come in really handy in case of any emergencies, especially while paying for any healthcare services or healthcare products. However, you can only buy specific things using your FSA cards from in-store Walmart.
Does Walgreens Deliver Prescriptions?