Can My Child Get Medicaid if I Have Insurance – Overview
Your child is entitled to certain Medicaid benefits if you have insurance coverage. However, insurance experts recommend getting CHIP (Children’s Health Insurance Program) coverage for your child.
CHIP offers medical coverage for children (below 18 years old) whose parents earn more, so they don’t qualify for Medicaid but do not have enough to buy private insurance coverage.
What is CHIP?
Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) was launched by the Lincoln administration back in 1997 and is known by different names in different states. For instance, the CHIP initiative in New York is known as Child Health Plus, while in Arkansas, it is called ARKids.
In essence, CHIP is a US federal healthcare program operated and administered by each state. Managing CHIP programs is the state’s Medicaid administration’s task. There are times when families may not receive health insurance coverage for children through their employer-sponsored insurance program. In such cases, families should apply for CHIP coverage.
CHIP covers numerous medical services free of charge, though some may require a co-payment. Some states may also require a nominal monthly premium, but it cannot exceed more than 5% of the annual household income.
CHIP usually covers the cost of annual check-ups, doctor visits, immunization, hospital care, vision and dental care, prescription, laboratory services, and emergency medical care. In some states, CHIP coverage even extends to parents and pregnant women.
You can buy CHIP coverage for your child any time of the year and have the benefits immediately. At times, parents who qualify for Medicaid can also enroll their children in CHIP to avoid buying additional coverage for children.
What Are the Benefits of Chip?
CHIP benefits are relatively standard though some may vary from state to state. According to the official website, here are the primary advantages and benefits of CHIP insurance coverage for children in the USA:
- Regular check-up
- Doctors’ visits
- Immunization and vaccination
- Laboratory and x-ray services
- Dental care
- Vision care
- Prescription drugs
- Mental health services
- Inpatient and outpatient hospital care
- Emergency medical services
What Are the Eligibility Criteria for Chip?
Usually, children below 18 years of age are eligible to enroll in the CHIP program. The income criterion depends on the family size and the state of residence. Besides this, the following are the common criteria for CHIP eligibility, according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ official website:
- Uninsured individuals
- Registered citizen
- Meet immigration requirements
- A resident of the state
- Eligible according to CHIP’s income range (based on family income) and other state-specific rules as per the CHIP state plan
Usually, a family of four with annual earnings of around US$ 106,000 (pre-tax) can qualify to apply for CHIP coverage for the children. However, you must remember that this income limit varies from state to state. So, it is advisable to consult with your local Medicaid agent or representative and determine the specific income criteria dictated by your state.
Who to Get Your Child Enrolled in Chip?
CHIP is by far the most affordable and efficient health insurance program for children in the United States, which is run by a collaborative effort between the federal and state governments. Choosing to enroll your child in the CHIP program has numerous benefits and advantages.
According to survey reports by different agencies, CHIP is significantly impactful when it comes to ensuring efficient and affordable health and medical care for children in the US. Here are some facts that highlight this:
- 9 out of 10 parents are satisfied with their child’s CHIP coverage.
- 94% of parents admit to having access to urgent care services for their child, as and when necessary.
- 92% or parents state they could get an appointment with a doctor for their sick child within 24 hours through CHIP.
- 96% of surveyed states that they received an appointment for check-up and vaccination according to their expectations.
- 99% of parents got their child to see a dentist in the last 6 months through CHIP benefits.
- 93% of parents are pleased with the time doctors spend with their children.
- 93% of parents were happy with the helpful treatment of hospital staff, when using CHIP benefits.
- 97% of parents report their child’s doctor treated them with respect.
- 92% of parents stated it was easier to get their child’s medical care, tests, and treatments under CHIP coverage.
Though Medicaid may offer a few benefits for children, enrolling your child in Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) is highly recommended for maximum benefits. This nationwide health insurance program is aimed specifically at children below 18 years of age and offers various health and medical care benefits.
I am a dedicated healthcare researcher and an enthusiast specializing in medical grants, medical education and research. Through my articles, I aim to empower healthcare professionals and researchers with valuable insights and resources to navigate these critical aspects effectively.