Columbia Post Bacc Pre Med – Introduction
Columbia Post Bacc Pre Med Program allows students to complete the academic prerequisites for admission to schools of osteopathic medicine, allopathic medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, and graduate programs in allied health.
The post-baccalaureate pre-medical program at Columbia University is one of the oldest and largest programs in the country with a strong reputation. The goal of Columbia University is to maintain it by offering the best program of its kind in the country. The course is rigorous and competitive, however successful. While admission to medical school is an extremely difficult process, success in this program indicates working well for applying to medical school.
Columbia Post Bacc Pre Med – Overview
The mission of Columbia University is to educate, attract and support students in their educational path. Columbia Post Bacc Pre Med program helps students to learn in a challenging intellectual environment and possess exceptional academic potential and the ability to succeed.
- Medical school and tuition are expensive; however, the bright future would not let the cost deter you.
- The course work is difficult, yet it includes the standard pre-medical requirements that help in excellent preparation for both the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and medical school.
- A well-performing program helps in medical school acceptance.
- Linkage programs are available for interested and eligible students.
- Gain access to advice and services such as medical school interviews, personal statement workshops, and mock tests.
- The program requires clinical work that helps in experiencing extraordinary opportunities.
- Get access to the general resources offered at Columbia University that include academic support services, help-rooms for math and physics, a medical school fair, 24-hour libraries, the school’s gym, list-serves, and private events.
Columbia Post Bacc Pre Med – Application Process
The Columbia Post Bacc Pre Med program helps in setting on the path to medical school. For admission to the Postbac Premed Program, check out the following requirements.
- An online application
- Secondary school records and high school transcripts. ED/TASC test results are optional
- Transcripts from attended colleges or universities
- Mention test score in the section if any standardized tests such as GMAT, ACT, SAT, TOEFL, GRE, LSAT, or MCAT is taken
- Approximately 500 words double-spaced essay
- Two letters of recommendation from professional or academic sources. Submit it through the application portal
- Submit a nonrefundable application fee of $80
All the applicants must be submitted directly. An applicant is required to attest to the accuracy and authenticity of all information and documents submitted to Columbia.
To track the status of your application applied to the Postbac Premed Program, visit https://admissions.gs.columbia.edu/apply/?pk=PP
To be eligible for the Post-baccalaureate Premedical Program, students must:
- Possess a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree from an accredited university or college
- Have an overall aggregate GPA of 3.0 or above
- Not have taken the MCAT
- Not have applied to medical school within the past two years.
Columbia Post Bacc Pre Med – Curriculum and Courses
The Post-baccalaureate Premedical Program’s academic curriculum is designed to fulfill the prerequisites and train students for medical school admission anywhere in the nation. The program timetable includes traditional, part-time, or accelerated.
- Traditional Program
Students interested in beginning the program in the fall can opt for a traditional program. It takes two years to complete the coursework after two full academic years of study.
In the third year, students work on advanced science coursework through research or clinical work. It helps in applying to medical school while gaining exposure to medicine.
- Accelerated Program
The accelerated program begins in the spring semester, includes a special full-length summer term, and finishes with a fall-spring semester academic year. The coursework can be completed in less than 18 months if students are prepared to begin General Chemistry I, Physics I, and Calculus I.
This program is suitable for students who have demonstrated strong quantitative skills and have completed calculus or are calculus-ready. In the following year, students applying to medical school take advanced coursework, by engaging in research or clinical work.
- Part-Time Program
A part-time program offers greater flexibility. It can be taken by the who want to continue to work a full-time job. Students can begin by taking a single course in the spring or summer terms to complete preparatory coursework before enrolling in the required science courses.
Students must fulfill course requirements offered by Columbia’s Faculty of Arts & Science. Their programs of study must be approved by the advisors. Additionally, students must gain at least 120 hours of health care experience.
For upcoming premedical opportunities, visit https://gs.columbia.edu/content/upcoming-premedical-opportunities
Students pursuing Columbia Post Bacc Pre Med are offered increased flexibility. They can enroll full or part-time while beginning study in the fall, spring, or summer. Day and evening shifts are also available.
The length of the program is based on a variety of factors. It must be remembered that the student must be taking any core science courses during a full-length semester, and not a mini-session or abbreviated summer semester.
Columbia Post Bacc Pre Med – Financial Aid
The Post Bacc Pre Med students may be eligible to receive financial aid in the form of grants, scholarships, loans, or work-study. To learn more, visit https://gs.columbia.edu/content/types-financial-aid
The Columbia Post Bacc Pre Med is a highly competitive program. Therefore, the admissions process is highly selective and comprehensive.
Students admitted to the program possess academic strength and become successful applicants to medical school.