Big Pharma Companies – Overview
Big Pharma refers to the world’s largest pharmaceutical corporations collectively. These companies contribute to the growth of the healthcare industry. They play a great part in critical innovation and new research in the healthcare sector.
Top 10 Big Pharma Companies
Here, we will discuss the top 10 big pharma companies in detail.
The headquarters of Pfizer is in New York. Albert Bourla is the CEO of this company. They were very successful in their COVID-19 vaccine Cominarty and Paxlovid treatment. Together they were nearly half of the operating revenue of Pfizer. They announced that in 2021, they had initiated thirteen ‘pivotal’ clinical studies.
Here is a list of their brands and pharmaceutical products.
- Zoloft (sertraline)
- Flagyl (metronidazole)
- Zithromax (azithromycin)
- Diflucan (fluconazole)
- Atorvastatin (trade name Lipitor)
- Norvasc (amlodipine)
The headquarters of Roche is in Basel, Switzerland. It was founded in the year 1896. Dr. Severin Schwan is the CEO of Roche. During COVID-19, this company had a huge contribution mostly in the diagnostic area. It has helped in the growth of the company.
Here is a list of Roche’s brands and pharmaceutical products
- Neupogen (filgrastim): for neutropenia
- Avastin (bevacizumab): for some malignant tumors
- Gazyva (obinutuzumab): for chronic lymphocytic leukemia
- Xeloda (capecitabine): for colorectal cancer and breast cancer
- Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole/ trimethoprim): a sulphonamide antibacterial
- Fuzeon (enfuvirtide): for salvage therapy of HIV-1 infection
- Hemlibra (emicizumab): for hemophilia A
- Zenapax (daclizumab): for the prevention of acute transplant rejection
- Xolair (omalizumab): for asthma
- Viracept (nelfinavir): for HIV-1 infection, licensed by Pfizer and ViiV Healthcare
- Xenical (orlistat): for obesity
- Xeloda (capecitabine): for breast and colorectal cancer
- Nutropin (somatropin): for growth hormone deficiency
The headquarters of Abbvie are in Lake Bluff, Illinois. Richard A. Gonzalez is the CEO and chairman of Abbvie. It is a US-based publicity traded pharmaceutical company. It was founded in the year 2013. Their portfolio in immunology led the way with an increase of 14 percent globally.
Here is a list of brands and pharmaceutical companies of Abbvie.
- AndroGel: (testosterone gel)
- GENGRAF: Oral Solution (cyclosporine oral solution, USP)
- CREON: (pancrelipase) Delayed-Release Capsules
- NIMBEX: (cisatracurium besylate)
- MAVYRET: (glecaprevir/ pibrentasvir)
- NIASPAN: (niacin extended-release tablets) [film-coated]
- GENGRAF Capsules: (cyclosporine capsules, USP)
Their headquarters are in New Brunswick, New Jersey, in the United States. The CEO of Johnson & Johnson is Joaquin Duato. It is one of only two companies that are US based and have an AAA credit rating.
In 2021, Johnson & Johnson ended with an announcement of splitting into two companies. First, they wanted to separate their pharmaceutical and consumer products businesses.
Here is a list of pharmaceutical products and brands from Johnson & Johnson.
- Immunology products
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Cardiovascular & metabolic disease products
The headquarters of Novartis is in Basel, Switzerland. Dr. Vasant Narasimhan is the CEO of this company. It is the second biggest Swiss company in the pharmaceutical world. In 2021, the other Basel giant received around 21 approvals in the EU, the US, China, Japan, and two new molecular entities.
- Clozapine: (Clozaril)
- Deferasirox: (Exjade)
- Diclofenac: (Voltaren)
- Letrozole: (Femara)
- Carbamazepine: (Tegretol)
- Valsartan: (Diovan)
- Cyclosporine: (Neoral/ Sandimmune)
- Imatinib mesylate: (Gleevec/ Glivec)
- Methylphenidate: (Ritalin)
- Terbinafine: (Lamisil)
The headquarters of Bayer is in Leverkusen, Germany. The CEO of this company is Werner Baumann. In 2020, this company was in the fourth position on BizVibe’s list of the biggest pharmaceutical corporations in the world. This German company is a manufacturer and developer of veterinary and human pharmaceuticals, agricultural chemicals, biotechnology products, seeds, and consumer healthcare products.
- Diabetes care
- Veterinary drugs
- Diagnostic drugs
- Plant Biotechnology
- General and specialty medicines
- Women’s health products
- Over the counter drugs
The headquarters of Merch (Merch Sharp & Dohme) is in Kenilworth, New Jersey. Robert M. Davis is the CEO of this company. Merck received approval for its COVID-19 oral antiviral treatment. It is a leading multination company in the pharmaceutical world. This company is mostly known for its biologics, vaccines, prescription medicines, and other animal health products.
Here is a list of different brands and pharmaceutical products
- Propecia/ Proscar
- Zocor Vioxx Fosamax Keytruda Januvia Primaxin
The headquarters of Bristol Myers Squibb is in New York. the CEO of the BMS is Dr. Giovanni Caforio. Their blood thinner medication increased by at least 17 percent in their sales.
Here is a list of their medicines.
Their headquarters are in London. Emma Walmsley is their CEO. They sold products worth USD 1.9 billion during the COVID-19 period. The COVID-19 treatments developed by GSK with Vir Biotechnology are one of the most popular treatments against the Omicron variant.
Here is a list of pharmaceutical products and brands by GSK
- Oral healthcare
- Nutritional products
- Over-the-counter medicines
The headquarters of Sanofi is in Paris, France. Their CEO is Paul Hudson. Their specialty care unit became the largest business area for the first time. This company is most popular for developing over the counter medicines and manufacturing pharmaceutical medicines.
Here is a list of their brands and pharmaceutical products.
- Prescription and over-the-counter drugs for thrombosis
- Cardiovascular disease drugs
- Diabetes drugs
- Central nervous system disorder drugs
- Oncology drugs
- Internal medicine
All the Big Pharma companies have a great role in developing the healthcare sector. With advanced research, they can develop new medicines and treatment processes. I hope you might get a better understanding of above mentioned top big pharma companies.
If you have any suggestions or thoughts, please mention them in the comment section.